DAY OF REST
God’s Gift to Us
He is Worthy
Accept the Gift
In Genesis, we learn about the creation…
“And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.” (Genesis 2:2)
Why did God rest on the seventh day? Do you think God was tired? Or was it a gift from God knowing that we would need rest?
THE SEVENTH DAY SABBATH (Saturday)
THE FIRST DAY LORD’S DAY (Sunday)
Do the Ten Commandments still apply today?
LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR
We show our LOVE to GOD by remembering the 4th Commandment
“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore, the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.” (Exodus 20:8-11)
God gave us Sabbaths as a sign between Him and us
- Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath. The Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath. (Matthew 12, Mark 2, Luke 6)
- “Now after the Sabbath, as the first day of the week began to dawn, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see the tomb.” (Matthew 28:1 – The Sabbath was the seventh day of the week)
- “Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures.” (Acts 17)
Therefore, the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a PERPETUAL covenant.
PERPETUAL = everlasting, endless
- Prepare on Friday
- Unplug on Saturday
- Read the 4th Commandment to see how God describes the Sabbath (Exodus 20:8-11)
- Show your love to God during the day by remembering the sacrifice of His Son, your baptism, the bible, prayer, evangelism/testimony and His commandments
- Enjoy your day of rest!
- He is worthy!
God created this work/rest cycle for our good because He loves us!